Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Oh to be trendy and hip...

Do you like my new blog layout? I've been playing web designer. I can call myself a web designer now because I actually edited html. I did! I went online and learned how to turn a two column layout into a three column layout! AND I learned how to make my own header! I like the girl on my new header, although I can't decide if she's pregnant or is just sticking her stomach out there for the fun of it. I also can't seem to locate her second arm. I'm afraid it might be down her pants. She's a funky chick who is sticking her tummy out with her hand in her pants. OR she's a one-armed pregnant lady. I don't care. She's hip and trendy, and that's totally the image I am going for.

I got a new haircut. It's quite short. I can no longer pull my hair back into a pony-tail. My hair continues to fall out, although not nearly as much. The idea behind the cut was to lessen the gross-out factor by reducing the length of the hairs that come out in droves. (It's disconcerting to see what looks like a bird's nest hovering at the drain when you're done taking a shower.)

I liked my haircut. I thought it was hip and trendy. I got mixed reactions from friends and family. I got tight smiles paired with the words, "it's nice" and big grins paired with "I love it!" The reaction I was most concerned about, of course, was John's. I know he likes my hair long, but he's always been up for a change. When he saw it, he said, "it's cute," so I immediately knew he didn't love it.

His true feelings came out later. I mentioned to him that I had received mixed reactions about my new look. I asked him in a pitiful, whiny voice, "what do you really think? Do you hate it???" To which he responded, "it's cute." Then there was a pause. He said, "I think I know why you received negative feedback about your hair." This statement certainly caught my attention.

"Go on..." I said.

"It's the sort of haircut that women get in their mid-thirties when they just don't care anymore."

"Really."

"You can pull it off, though. It looks cute on you."

The sort of haircut women in their mid-thirties get when they just don't care anymore. His words. Verbatim.

So if you see us in the next couple of weeks and wonder why he seems more like my man-servant than my husband, you will know why.

Oh, and 31 is definitely NOT mid-thirties. Sheesh.

5 comments:

Janet said...

I happen to think your hair is very hip and trendy! You are beautiful and so is your hair! As to John making comments about the motives of women in their 30's getting their hair cut...maybe he better just stick to his day job! :)

Anonymous said...

Hey now...in my defense, the conversation was more like this:

Holly: "Why am I getting mixed reviews about my new haircut?"

John: "Not sure. I think it looks very cute."

Holly: "What do you really think?"

John: "Um...can we talk about this later? I am sort of busy here, saving these orphans and rescuing baby seals. At the same time."

Holly: "But I really want to know."

John: "Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
Thou art more lovely and more temperate:
Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May, And summer's lease hath all too short a date."

Holly: "You're stalling."

And well...you know the rest.

Holly said...

Manservant, I did not give you permission to comment on my blog!!!

Anonymous said...

Forsooth!

Anonymous said...

John deserves at least 50 lashes for that one. I think short hair is cute, regardless of age. I'm sure you are still the beautiful Holly we all know. : )