Wednesday, June 24, 2009

A Great Dad Lives At My House

On Sunday we celebrated both Father's Day and Benjamin's fourth birthday. Now, you may remember that I, as do many other mothers, celebrate Mother's Week. Unfortunately, John only gets one Father's Day and this year, it was overshadowed by Ben's birthday. It is not anyone's (namely my) fault that there is not a Father's Week, it is simply a cultural phenomenon.

I could write pages about why my hubby is one of the world's top-notch dads, but I would hate for anyone to feel resentful or even, God forbid, jealous. I will just say this: every morning, John rouses all of the children (there are four, in case you had lost count) out of bed, gets them dressed and feeds them breakfast just so that I can sleep until 8am. He puts Caleb on the bus and leaves the house dressed in a stiff Brooks Brothers suit while I sit languidly at the table eating my Wegmans Honey Wheels, still in my pajamas.

Sometimes I stay in my pajamas all day. If John gets home and I'm still in my pajamas, he doesn't say anything about it at all. And it's not because I wear sexy pajamas, mind you. My pajamas are generally a lovely combo of my old maternity sweats and one of his t-shirts. You may argue that there is nothing sexier than a woman wearing a holy t-shirt that says "the sports team from my area is superior to the sports team from your area" but I'm sure John would beg to differ.

He does these things not only for me, but also because he works long hours and actually, get this, wants to spend all of the extra time that he can with his kids. Really! Sometimes I have to force him to say goodnight to Caleb and Ben so we can put them to bed at a reasonable hour. He would stay up goofing off with them all night if he could. Is this because he's a wonderful father or because he's just a big kid himself? I'm not entirely sure, actually. Probably a little bit from column a, a little bit from column b.

Regardless, Mr. John Mark Jennings, if there was such a thing as a Happy Father's week, I would wish you it right now. Since there is not, and I reiterate that this is NOT MY FAULT, I will just say thank you. You are an unbelievable dad.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And to think that I discouraged you from marrying this saint!