Monday, February 27, 2012

Can

I gave up sugar for lent. (Refined sugar, icky sugary processed foods. The really bad stuff.) Then there was cake and I may have indulged.

I’m not saying God smote me with cholera because I broke my Lenten promise, but I am saying it’s a slight to very real possibility. The cholera is one good way to expunge all the sugar from one’s body. Good grief.

There are far too many moments I tell myself I can’t.

I can’t keep up.

I can’t be happy.

I can’t stop craving sugary processed foods. I can’t.

I can’t run a 5K, let alone some type of marathon.

I can’t be a good mom to my wonderful kids.

I can’t keep promises to God, let alone to others.


And then God smites me with the cholera. Because the truth is, I can. And the sooner I learn to tell myself “I can” instead of “I can’t,” the better off I’ll be- and the less cholera I'll have to endure...

This video (and song) never fail to reduce me to a puddle.  Enjoy. 



For the record, I don't believe God smote me with cholera.



Also, I actually CAN'T don't like to run because my toes go numb  and it's actually quite painful. Thoughts on this?

4 comments:

Kim said...

Thanks, Holly. I needed that today. It's so easy to lose perspective and say, "I can't. I can't. I can't," when it's really, "I won't. I don't. I don't want to." We can be really hard on ourselves when we try and fail, but we have to remember that God doesn't look at our failures. He looks at how many times we got back up and kept trying.

MGBR said...

I didn't believe you about the puddle. Tom walked in from his jog to find me weeping in front of the computer. Had not seen this before.

Curious about your tingly toes. Will place some inquiries.

Holly said...

Online forums have been little to no help. It's frustrating!

Melanie Eccles said...

MGBR referred me to your blog after hearing me sing that song this morning in church. :)

I have a thought on the tingly toes--that used to happen to me when I first started running. It was awful. First, make sure your shoes fit properly. If they are the slightest bit too tight, this could cut off circulation. Second, try wiggling your toes when you feel the tingling starting. wiggle, wiggle, wiggle. Third, it will go away with time. It might be our body's reaction to the new powerful flow of blood that occurs in a run. Just keep it up, push past the pain, and pray it goes away. It did for me. :)